Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book Review: Haven by Kristi Cook

I've read several books in the past week, and my goal is to do a review on each one within the coming days. Some days may have two reviews in one blog.  If it is a series, I will review the entire series.  Also, I don't discriminate by genre so if the book is YA Contemporary, Paranormal, Romance, etc. and I have read it (durh!),  I will review it.  {{Click HERE for my Book Review Disclosure}}


Photo Courtesy of GOODREADS

Summary: 

Leaving Atlanta behind, and starting fresh at Winterhaven School in New York, sixteen year old Violet McKenna is looking for a fresh start.  But Violet has a secret she has tried to keep hidden:  she has macabre, vivid visions of the future. 

Good thing for Violet that Winterhaven happens to be a safe haven for people like her with special "gifts and talents".  Here she meets extremely smart, sexy, mind reader extraordinaire, Aidan Gray.  But Aidan is hiding something from everyone at Winterhaven that could have them all running from him.  Will fate and a common enemy keep Violet and Aidan together or tear them apart? 

Review:

I had not heard of this book until I picked it up last Wednesday at my local bookstore.  The cover drew me in.  Does it make me shallow that I judged a book by its cover?  Ahwell.  When I read the back cover, I knew immediately I had to have it!  I can't tell you what it says, because I want you to go check out this book for yourself!  :)

I've read other reviews, saying that "Haven" is kind of a mixture of several other types of stories, and although I do see where these reviewers are coming from, this is one of those books that flows so beautifully and has some extras I haven't seen or have scarcely seen in YA Paranormal (astral projection, anyone?).  Oh, and let's not forget "The Aidan Effect" that may or may not have to do with his particular "gifts".  Personally, I've experienced this type of effect, and it is not pretty.  Oh wait . . . right . . . reviewing.  Sorrrryyyyy! 

What I wish I could have seen was more chemistry between Aidan and Violet, but I believe the lack of is leading up to a sequel (yayyyy!), so I can't say that I'm disappointed.  

I would definitely recommend "Haven" to anyone who wants a good YA Paranormal read.  The book is about 400 pages, but reads so smoothly that I got through it in about a day.   
                     

UPCOMING REVIEWS: 
ALL COVERS COURTESY OF GOODREADS
Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)Faking 19The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)


City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)

Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic review. I just got this and am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I hope you enjoy the book! :)

    ReplyDelete