Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Book Review: Scrapbook of My Revolution by Amy Lynn Spitzley

Purchase Scrapbook of My Revolution Here

Please Read My Book Review Disclosure 

Title:  Scrapbook of My Revolution
Author:  Amy Lynn Spitzley
Release Date:  March 20, 2013
Genre:  YA
Spoilers:  Nah, not really.
Note:  There is minimal cursing, smoking, mentions of drinking, and adorable kisses in the courtyard.  I do not place an age limit on readers, but if you are offended by any of these things Scrapbook of My Revolution may not be suitable for you.  


Amber Alexander is Malian.  No, this isn't some tribe on some island you've never heard of and will search high and low on your favorite search engine to learn random facts and book a vacation.  I've already tried.  Judge me later.  Malian is the name given to people born with certain abnormalities like, say, gold-colored skin and hyper-sensitivity to people's emotions.  But not all Malians have the same skin tone or ability; some are blue, green, red, pink and some have the ability to camouflage, manipulate, or have advanced athletic abilities.  Just like Regulars, though, not all Malians have good intentions.

As the first group of Malians are becoming teenagers, people are becoming nervous of the Malian abilities.  Attacks and hate-laced graffiti against Malians becomes all-too-common across the world.

After a friend is attacked by Regulars, Amber decides to be more proactive in her activism.  She wants to show that Malians are no threat to the public and will not be treated as freaks.  Her determination grows stronger when she and her cousin, Bree, are attacked outside her house by Regulars.  Amber barely has time to breathe between her newly developed group for Malians and Malian supporters, a certain lavender-toned kiteboarder, and a super-hot Manipulative who is down for her cause but has his own backdoor objectives. What she develops during these few months is a knowledge about trust and human nature.

Opinion:

This might just be a mini-spoiler that you might just thank me for in the future:  Scrapbook of My Revolution is not a paranormal or dystopian.  Yes, I know!  I was shocked, too.  The description most certainly sounds like something along those lines, but trust me when I say it is not.  This is a book about social issues that pretty much gives a back-handed slap to the ugly face of prejudice.

Miss Spitzley put forward the definition of positive activism--much like that of the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the lunch counter sit-ins of the Civil Rights Movement--through a seventeen year old girl who is wanted and hated for her skin tone.  This is a young adult book that, on the surface, is enjoyable for the content alone.  This is a young adult book that, if you look a little deeper in the content, you will see just how one determined person with a few faithful friends can start a revolution.

Scrapbook of My Revolution not only makes you think, but the format of a scrapbook with "handwritten" font is just plain 'ol appealing.  I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a YA read that doesn't get too serious about the serious issues but doesn't downplay them, either.

I normally don't do this, but I'd like to address some of the reviews who have said Amber was a little too stuck on herself and the book is (and I quote) "immoral".  Amber knows she is beautiful and, at times, she seems to dislike that she is beautiful.  So why does this make her "stuck on herself"?  She doesn't like the attention, yet she seems to be honed in on the fact that she gets tons of it.  Yes, I agree that did get a bit redundant but as she grew into herself, her image and her cause, Amber learned to control the resentment.  As for as the immorality?  I found none.

I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in return for my honest opinion.  I will be purchasing Scrapbook of My Revolution in my next book haul.



What I'm Listening To


No comments:

Post a Comment