Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I've Been Tagged! WIP, Bottom Feeder


I've been Tagged to share my Work in Progress, or WIP.  Being tagged is sort of like being smacked on the bottom.  Except, you know, without the sexual harassment.  

Here are the Rules…

1) Give credit (including a web link) to the author who tagged you.
2) Play by the rules.  This also means you must POST a copy of the rules.
3) You must answer all 10 questions (below).  Some of them are quite hard to answer, but do your best!
4) List 5 other authors at the end (with links) that you have “tagged” so that the game can continue…

The Link Back

I was tagged by Morgan Jane.  Her WIP, Sanguis City will be released Summer 2013.  Check out the link to read about this Urban Fantasy/Paranormal because it sounds ahh-mazing.  Twitter @Morgijane

Q1) What is the title (or working title) for your WIP?

Bottom Feeder is the name of the first book in the series. 

Q2) What genre(s) does your book fall under?

New Adult Suspense with elements of romance.

Q3) Which actors would you choose to play the characters in the film version of your book?

First of all let me say that I do not own any of these photos.  If you hold your cursor over each photo, you will see the link back to its source.  Sharing is for huggers.  Copyright infringement is for losers with no soul.  


Maddy

Kat Dennings is an almost-perfect choice for Maddy.  She is witty and sarcastic, but can turn on the dramatic when the scenes call for a bit of seriousness.  Although Maddy is described as only 5’1, Kat’s curves are exactly how I pictured my MC when I wrote her character.  Her size is actually quite important to certain elements of the story, soooo yeah.  Now if Miss Dennings can pull off a South Georgia accent we will be good to go. 


Kat Dennings


Jackson

I chose Cam Gigandet for Jackson’s character.  Cam has been in a dozen movies, but never had a starring role.  Whyyyyyy Hollywood?  Whyyy?  Okay . . . sorry.  Distractions are inevitable.  Jackson is a 19 year old angry war veteran in denial of his PTSD.  His character is very serious and, at times, a bully.  Cam has shown this side of his acting in Never Back Down.  Again, if Cam can pull off a South Georgia accent, we will be good to go.

Cam Gigandet


Dixon

I chose Rafi Gavron for Dixon's character.  I loved his playful side in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and his frightened, serious side more recently in Snitch.  Maddy's best friend, Dixon, loves her more than anyone or anything in his life.  He is also still in the closet with everyone except Maddy about his homosexuality so for now, he "dates" women who do not want anything resembling a commitment.  

Rafi Gavron


Cordell

I’m not going to lie, I always pictured Tommy Lee Jones when I wrote about Cordell.  I have no shame in saying this.  He would absolutely be my ideal, but for the sake of age I like True Blood’s Bill Moyer.   He has a mean streak in True Blood that makes you love him and, at times, hate him.  You will be leaning more toward the hate side with Cordell Carrington.   

Bill Moyer


Larry Duvall 

Larry plays a large role in the overall picture, but I have intentionally left out a physical description of him.  His character can be anyone you know (friend, family, co-worker), but may never realize just what kind of monster he really is until too many lives are ruined.  He might present himself as an upstanding citizen, but is evil to the core. 



Dominic

Alex Meraz would be a good Dominic.  We would need to add lots of tattoos, but he is definitely the look I’m going for with easy-going, protective Dominic.  His tough, protective side comes out in Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown.  Like Cam, Alex has never had a leading role but I just . . . I don’t know . . . I like his style.  

Alex Meraz


Q4) What is the main outline for your book?

Bottom Feeder is told in alternating POV between 17 year old recent high school graduate Maddy and 19 year old war veteran Jackson.  Maddy receives a package detailing her father’s role in several murders.  While she struggles to keep those closest to her safe, she has a new person to worry about when Jackson walks into her home one night and walks out in the middle of a plot to kill Maddy.  

Q5) Will your book be Indie published, self-published, or represented by an agency and sold to a traditional publisher?

I should not do this, but I have placed a timeline on myself.  If I am not represented by an agent by a certain time, I will be publishing through Amazon.

Q6) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I actually started this book when I was 15.  I’m 2—well, I’m in my twenties now and recently picked it back up . . . and changed EVERYTHING except Maddy’s name and the road trip to get Maddy away from her father.   

Q7) What other books in this genre would you compare yours to?

I don’t know if I can compare to others.  It’s not that I feel inferior to other authors or vice-versa, it's just that YA/NA Suspense novels are few and far between. 

Q8) Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Who’s ready for a cliché?  Do you need to prepare?  Okay.  I’ll wait. 



Writing is my escape.  I wrote my first story in 1st grade and never looked at real life the same again.  I don’t remember the original reason I started this particular story so long ago, but the changes in the plot came along because of general life changes.  At the time I began this version, my husband and I were stationed at Fort Bragg.  Every month I saw soldiers return from war, each of them with a different experience and different story.  I felt the realities of war and PTSD should be put out there for people to know that the war does not end when the men and women return home.


Q9) What else about the book might pique readers attention?

This book is not your typical boy meets girl, they fall in love and ride off into the sunset on a unicorn holding hands.  On top of finding out her father is a murderer, Maddy is dealing with emotional, physical, and sexual abuse.  Her goal is to keep those closest to her safe while keeping her secrets, well, a secret.  Jackson is not your typical “Awww . . . he’s so mysterious and sweet I so want a guy like him" character.  He is suffering from PTSD and the guilt of not dying in the war.  He is also sort of an a-hole.  


Q10) Five other Indie authors who I’ve tagged

Don’t hate me, but I don’t know any right now!  I’m fairly new to Twitter and blogging so I will update this as I find them.  I will link to those who have already been tagged so you can check them out, though!  

Blog:  Morgan Janes
Twitter:  @Morgijane

Blog:  K N Lee
Twitter:  @KNycole_Lee

Twitter:  @gchellewrites

Twitter:  @JLLicea

Blog:  M.C. O'Neill
Twitter: @MCONeill2

No comments:

Post a Comment