Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Re-review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma




Title:  Forbidden
Author:  Tabitha Suzuma
Genre:  YA Romance

Spoilers:  No way!  Y’all get your own copy!  : D

Note:  This book contains a love interest that goes beyond what most define as normal.  What, exactly, is that foreign word anyway?  I do not place an age limit on readers, but if you are offended easily, Forbidden may not be suitable for you.  


I am re-reviewing because of a challenge by my book nerd friends to review something that stands out in the vast world of books.  And what a beautiful, beautiful world it is.  


Summary: 

Siblings Lochan (17) and Maya (16) have always felt more like friends than brother and sister.  With their alcoholic, practically non-existent mother and a father who long ago abandoned the family, Lochan and Maya have taken over the role of parents to their three younger siblings.  Along with the stress of becoming stand-in parents, high school, and the constant threat of child protective services, their lives have brought them close.  So close, in fact, that Lochan and Maya have fallen in love.  Although they know the relationship is wrong, they are unable to stop how they feel.

Review:

First, allow me to say that if you do not have an open mind, do not read this book.  Seriously.  Some of the reviews I have read are downright ignorant, and some are even quite disgusted by it.  Which means the point of the book is either 1) Received or 2) Not Received. 

Wait . . . what?


I don't know what this meeaaanns!


Confused?  Perplexed?  Do you need a moment?  Go ahead . . . take it.  Woooosahhhh!  Woo-sahhhh!

Now.  Take the time to read this amazingly heartbreaking story and you will see what I mean.

Yes, there is incest.  Yes, a few times throughout I stopped and thought, "Oh my."  But this is a love story.  A tragic, tragic love story that does not have a happy ending.  Actually, when I first read this book, I hated it because I was so bitter about the ending.  

However, my mind is changed.  I read Forbidden a little over two years ago and I cannot get this story out of my head.  It is one of those books where you find yourself wanting something to work out that maybe should not work out . . . and then you find yourself asking, "Well, why shouldn't it work out?  Who am I to judge love?  To judge anyone, for that matter?"

Forbidden will have you questioning things that have no answer.  And however frustrating, that's quite all right with me.


What I'm Listening To:
Big Mama Thornton-Give Me A Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment